Guilty Pleasures in Food, Film & Libation



Thursday, April 8, 2010

Inappropriate Nudity

There is a disturbing aspect to our guest speakers lecture that I feel the need to address. I have mixed feelings about the idea that anyone can go to Amazon and get a book made just for the hell of it. On the one hand I like the idea that you don't have to have a fortune or a huge publishing house to get your thoughts and ideas out, that the story that you have within you can come to fruition even if your name isn't Cussler, Rowling, or King. On the other side of this coin is the idea that scares me, and that is the idea that a lot of the people that really want to get their stuff out there are the people you least want to hear from. Kind of like a nude beach....the people that really want to go there are the people you really don't want to see bump, set , spiking the volleyball in their birthday suit. I don' want to bag on the idea at all, I feel this is a great way for authors to get their ideas out there. I'm just scared that it will turn into a virtual dollar store of literary garbage clogging up the web site like coupon day in my mailbox. With so much garbage on the television and in the media in general, do we really want it on our bookshelves too? I personally like the idea that an editor or someone would tell me what aspects of my book are bad or telling me "they're all gonna laugh at you if you publish this". But that is just me. I guess the upside to this really would be that literature and authorship would then be available and less daunting to a society where the written word is already starting to become an antiquated idea. Being able to dovetail literature and technology is undoubtedly the future, and I would rather see this happen then to see it disappear entirely. See you at the beach.