Guilty Pleasures in Food, Film & Libation



Friday, April 16, 2010

Paragraphs for A.G.

It's been brought to my attention that my blog never has any paragraphs. I never even considered it really and I don't know why. Maybe on a subconscious level I didn't add them because the name of my blog is Ryan's Rant, a rant being a long winded diatribe speaking out about something....but I don't know.

So here it is! My first blog incorporating paragraphs, funny that it comes along on my very last post for this class. There is some irony in that we just watched Hitler orate to his German youth last Tuesday and my blog being one continuous un-paragraphed mess. Anyone who is masochistic enough to have suffered through the literary goulash that is Mien Kempf knows that Hitler had no background in writing...and it is VERY apparent. Run on sentences, dozens of commas in one "sentence", and never ending paragraphs saturated with bitter politics.

While Hitler was in prison writing this 400 + page mess, you'd think that he would be able to find some semblance of structure for presenting his ideas to the world. I mean, there has got to be someone in the cell block that knows how to structure a paragraph somewhere. Spending two years in the clink gives a man time to think, apparently not about sentence structure though. Normally I wouldn't speak ill of the dead but I can't think of a more deserving person than this particular "author" and orator.

It's interesting to watch the video of Hitler and listen to him mesmerize the youth of the next generation with his ideals for the future of his nation. Watching a master puppeteer at work, wielding the strings in a maniacal puppet show that culminated in one of the largest tragedies in modern times.

I would never liken myself to Hitler, but every time I write now I will be very aware of my structure, adding paragraphs where they need to be and cutting down on my comma use. Readability is very important if you want to be a writer so I hope that here at the end of my English 402 blogging days that this is way more readable than my past posts!!!