Guilty Pleasures in Food, Film & Libation



Monday, March 29, 2010

Next week, on a very special Blossom...

I love a good conspiracy. The idea that someone somewhere knows who that very elusive second man on the grassy knoll really was. Or that what happened in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947 really was not a "weather balloon" after all, worst....cover up....ever. The point is that reading between the lines of all the information that is thrown at us is our responsibility. With the big five manipulating the strings like a sadistic puppet master, we owe it to ourselves to cut the strings that would tie us to someone else's master plan. Seeing the demons in everything can get you labeled pretty quickly, so proceed with caution. I always knew that everything thrown at me by the media was a ploy to swindle my hard earned money, but this class has been instrumental in putting labels on the dubious tactics that the media employs. Using rhetoric to appeal to certain aspects of our psyche, the media has dares to violate us. By tapping into our minds, the media can control what we buy, thus slyly robbing us blind and essentially with our permission! I recently sat down to read a magazine about cars and was confronted with this issue. Although appearing to have no agenda other than dishing out the specs of the featured vehicles, I started to question the magazine's motives. I started to question as to whether or not if I had to go into a controlled slide would my Z-Rated tires do the trick? Or should I upgrade to the ZR-Rating? Would my 4 piston Wilwood calipers stop me in time? Or should I shell out the bucks for 8 piston Brembo brakes that will stop on a dime and give change? Do I use the right motor oil? These are the questions that should not interrupt me during a REM cycle. I'm sure that the magazine has noble intentions, yet I am glad that I am an individual that will question the things that are put in front of me. At the risk of sounding like an after school special, taking things at face value is a dangerous gamble no matter what you are talking about. No longer will the shepherds crook drag us around telling us where we should graze, we are hip to your high jinks and we are reading between your beguiling lines to seek the truth, and we will find it.